PDI, a subsidiary of Hy-Vee, has an immediate opportunity for a part-time Diesel Technician Intern. The Diesel Technician Intern performs preventative maintenance and general repairs of all company vehicles. The following partial job description explains this position.
- Reports to work when scheduled and on time. Adheres to company policies and departmental guidelines.
- Observes all safety and sanitation rules and regulations.
- Performs heavy work exerting 50 to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 25 to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or 10 to 20 pounds of force constantly.
- Under direct supervisor performs preventative maintenance on vehicle fleet including but not limited to: company cars, pick-up trucks, shag truck, refrigeration units, and semi-tractor trailers.Maintains appropriate documentation on work performed.
- Under direct supervision diagnoses problems and performs repairs and/or part replacement submitting documentation of work performed and associated costs.
- Under direct supervision conducts inspections on equipment to meet federal guidelines and documents accordingly.
- Under direct supervision diagnoses and repairs electrical systems using computer and scanners. Installs and repairs onboard computer system.
- Performs body work on vehicles involved in minor accidents.
- Maintains a clean and neat work area and performs general clean-up.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQURIED TO PERFORM JOB: Must have basic knowledge of tractor-trailer repairs. Ability to meet deadlines and work on multiple projects at one time. Able to solve practical problems with a variety of variables. Ability to perform data entry in to computer system. Ability to perform general math. Ability to meet the physical requirements of the job (see attached essential functions). Powered industrial equipment license required. Must provide own hand tools. Primary responsibilities require occasional very heavy lifting of parts and frequent medium to heavy lifting according to the Department of Labor Weight Classifications. This is a skilled position requiring repetitive motion, manual and motor coordination, and finger dexterity, grasping, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, bending, stooping, crouching, kneeling, squatting, crawling, handling, carrying, climbing, balancing, driving, sitting, moving mechanical parts, talking, hearing, and visual acuity.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Shop conditions with exposure to vehicle exhaust fumes, diesel fuel, oil, antifreeze, dampness, vibrations, dirt, high noise levels, hazardous materials and cleaning chemicals and solvents. Exposure to moving equipment, vibrations, electrical shock. Exposure to all types of weather conditions and temperature extremes. Exposure to cold temperatures in shop and reefer unit. Neat and clean appearance, PDI uniforms required or professional attire.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQURIED TO PERFORM JOB: High school education or equivalent. Must have basic knowledge of tractor-trailer repairs. Attending school for Diesel Technical Certification or trade school degree in truck and trailer maintenance. Diesel technician experience or related work preferred.
Important Disclaimer Notice: The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors and the requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. PDI reserves the right to revise the job description at any time and to require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of business, competitive considerations or the work environment change.
SCHEDULE: part-time hours/flexible schedule
A pre-employment physical, lift test, drug screen and background check are required. EOE.
PDI is a drug-free workplace and therefore prohibits the use of alcohol, illegal drugs, or any controlled substance other than an authorized prescription drug on company property. PDI conducts post offer drug screen and background check as part of the employment process.
- Competitive Pay
- Quarterly Bonus
- 401k match
- Company Activities
- Employee of the Month & Year